Monday, June 11, 2012

June 11, 2012

Family! Alright, so it's been a pretty good week to tell you the truth. Oh, and I'm also sending a whole bunch of pictures, that don't even fit on this email, so be prepared for those. Turns out my companion had tons of pictures on his memory I didn't know about, so I picked those up, and suddenly my Mission Memory Book which may or may not happen has just become that much cooler. So enjoy all those, and now you can guys can sort of read-sort of zone out during the rest of my missionary letter. But this one should be a good one, so if I were you, I'd pay attention.

First things first, we baptized Irma, Valeria, and Diego! Now this is definitely a big deal, and definitely some of the most special people I've gotten the chance to know out here. We totally lucked out finding them, I guess it was one of those classic "let's knock one more door before we go and eat" kind of things. Irma didn't even let us in the first time around, because she was busy planning Valeria's Quincenera (big birthday party when a girl turns 15), and we found them the second time around. Just took off since then. And so like two months later, they're officially members! Their baptism was a total miracle as well. Me and Elder Pineda seriously did everything right, we went early to fill up the baptisimal faunt and everything, and everything was going fine, but then all of sudden...no water! Why does this always happen? I guess I am in the middle of a desert, sometimes I forget that. But anyways, there was pretty much no water to speak until like an hour before the baptism was supposed to start. And then all of a sudden, water comes bursting out of the faucet, and the baptism was saved. There still wasn't a ton of water, so they had to get some serious knee-bendige going on to get under the water, but it all worked out. We only had to baptize Valeria twice...she's the tallest. But all things considered, not bad, right? They got confirmed yesterday, and they even payed their tithing! Which is something totally awesome to see as a Missionary. That's when you can kinda tell they're in it to win it. Oh, and so the baptism of that cool little 8 year old girl didn't happen, but we've got it planned for this Saturday, so expect some more cool pictures.

The rest of the week was good, we've got some good potential in this area. But the next coolest thing of the week was what we did today. Have I ever told you guys about Brother Flint in our ward? Well he's an American, totally white dude, and he teaching English and lives here. Well today he took me and the other Elderes from Guadalupe to La Quemada, which are some old ruins out here in Zacatecas. It involved climbing lots of really old stairs, but it was still totally fun. Check out the pictures! And I didn't even get sun burned afterwards, which was probably the second biggest miracle of the week. Probably has something to do with the fact that I actually put on sun screen for once...I guess it works after all.

So those were the high-lights of my week. I really feel like I'm doing the best I can out here, and it's easy to see that a lot of the effort is paying off. I'm just convinced at this point that the key to life is being obedient to the Gospel. I mean, it's not that hard, right? It really is what makes us happy, and the other stuff, just not so much. I'm really grateful for that testimony I've been given. But anyways, the NBA! So word on the street is that it's gonna be a Thunder/Heat finals. Man, that will be totally fun to watch. Since I didn't see the Lakers/Thunder match up, I don't really have too much Thunder hatred, and besides, gotta love an underdog story. But I've said it since the beginning of the year, I think this is Lebron's year and according to what Marv told me, Bron is stepping up. I still think it's lame that Bron sold out like that, but I mean, he's a pretty likeable guy I guess, and he does look exactly like those angry blocks on Mario, gotta hand that to him. I'm predicting Heat in 7. Can't wait for the 2012-2013 season. Oh, and I'm also loving the last months of my Mish too, so don't worry about me. Church is true, and I love it. Here I am, ready to be your friend.

Love,
Elder Abbott

No comments:

Post a Comment