Monday, February 6, 2012

February 6, 2012

Family! How is everyone doing? Man I've got a lot of things to talk about, but I think it would be appropriate to start with...Super Bowl! So I managed to see the last 5 minutes of a re-run of the game in a supermarket this morning...it was fantastic! I was totally hoping the Giants would win, and my buddy Eli came in in the clutch. Just like Mark said in his email, we know how it is being the younger brother (especially me), so it's always good to see the younger brother come out on top. Eat my dust Peyton! There are few things more exciting than a hail-mary at the end of the Superbowl, even more exciting for when you're an American Missionary in Mexico and you get to see it. I am officially 2/2 in my Mission Superbowl predictions, Packers and the Giants. Also I was right about UConn last year in March Madness, let's see if I get lucky again when March comes up. I really do love sports. Nothing better than watching the Superbowl, or the NBA Finals, the World Cup, Wimbleton Cup (send em' home!), the Stanley Cup, or even the World Finals of Baseball. I love it all.

On to more important news...Mom and Dad are going on a Mission! That's pretty coo-coo blank, but I'm super pumped for them. The Pennsylvania mission? Mom and Dad will get a little east-coast flavor, and their first assignment will be to strengthen the Scranton Branch. I've never been to the Pennsylvania area before, but it sounds pretty awesome. Mom told me there are some old civil war sites in their Mission, they will for sure love that kind of thing. Just gotta hope it's in your area, or you gotta ask the Zone Leaders for permission Mom and Dad. Just become buddies with the ZL's and they don't really care, it's always worked for me. So this April Mom and Dad will be in the MTC, get their name tags and everything, that's awesome. Remember to go to dinner early on Papa John's Pizza Night (Friday), Missionaries down pizza like nobodys business. I ate like 6 pieces every time. It's super cool that Mom can get the inside view of MTC life considering they've sent all 7 of their sons there. So congratulations Mom and Dad, make sure to get all of your shots and dentist stuff taken care of, it's an essential evil that ever Missionary must go through.

Anyways, it's been a pretty good week! Somehow we finally found people to teach, which is big news down here. If everything goes according to plan, we just might be able to baptize 4 people this change! This week we found Iriana, Olga, Raul, and Vicente, and all of them want to get baptized. The only thing is that everyone except Vicente (he's Raul's 8 year old son) has word of wisdom problems, boo-urns. So they gotta drop everything cold-turkey pretty much to be ready when their baptisimal date comes up. Iriana is first up with her baptism this Saturday, cross your fingers she doesn't crash this week. It's pretty interesting thing helping adults quit their addictions, me being a 20 year old kid who has never even touched a beer before, but the Lord makes it happen somehow. So we're really happy we found them, not having investigatores is the worst as a Missionary. It's like when Dad tried to retire, he had nothing to do all day except mow the lawn, and went just about crazy. Same deal when you can't find people to teach as a Missionary. But it's good to see our hard work payed off and we can some potential baptisms coming up. Nothing is for sure, but just gotta keep the faith up, and let the Lord do his thing.

Other than that, nothing really comes to mind of cool things that went down. Oh! I reached 15 months in the Mission a couple of days ago, now thats no number to sniff at. I officially am 9 months down in the Mission, one pregnancy. From what I've heard from all my Sisters, a pregnancy goes by quick, so I gotta take advantage of all the time left I got at this thing. I gotta admit though, I'm feeling pretty old...like Glass Joe in Super Punch Out. My knees sometimes feel like their going to give out from all the walking we do, but at least now I can say I got a better feel for what the Pioneers went through (sort of). Hmm what else new happened...our neighbor who lives below us had her baby! That's right, so now we'll have a new born baby right below, seperated by paper-thin walls. I'm sure I'm going to feel your pain Kev, Mark, and Mike...so much crying in the middle of the night. But it's all good, I guess I'll be a Dad someday too, better to get prepared sooner than later right?

So how is everything back at home? Who is going to take care of Abbott manor when Abby and Papa leave for their Mission? Sam will finally be the man of the house. He's waited for this moment for like 10 years. I notimate Heather and Mark to come down to southern California, and Mark can ratch it on up with Mike and the Hartford guys. So what else has been going on lately? Keep me informed!

So life is pretty good out here as a Missionary. I've felt the Spirit so many times confirm to me that this Church really is the true Church of God on earth. Sure I've never seen anything crazy miraculous, but it's the little moments that make all the difference if you look for them. I think it's normal as a Missionary to have some nerves about whats going to happen in the future, but I am determined to give everything I've got to God and Christ's church as long as I live. This world has got lots of trashy things in it these days, we gotta be as close to the Church as we can in order to overcome all of it. Well I guess that's my peace for the week, but just want to let all you know how much I love you. I love this family more than anything, and man am I gratefult to be a part of it. Well sir, in the words of Sir Hiss, "you've heard his mightiness, move it creepy, move it creepy, get lost!"

Love,
Elder Abbott

No comments:

Post a Comment