Tuesday, February 21, 2012

February 20, 2012

Family! How is everyone doing? Another week just went by pretty fast in the Mish, and just like every week, I'm gonna do my best to try to remember what happened. The first thing that comes to mind is that I went running for the first time in months! We woke up at 6 in the morning to go running, and it was awful. Actually it was awesome for the first 5 minutes, and then suddenly not so much afterwards. I found out that day that even though I've been walking everywhere for the past 16 months, it doesn't mean I can run like I could before. I adopted Greg's philosphy of the "run/walk" within 10 minutes of the run. But still, it felt good to get out there and really stretch my legs again. I'll get back in running shape again when I go home, and can go running with the iPod. It makes all the difference.

So hey, I guess it was Valentine's Day last week. I didn't realize it until it was night time, and like 15 people tried to sell us roses. I finally asked one of them why in the world I would need a rose being a Missionary and all, and they told me it was dia de San Valetine. It took me a second afterwards to realize it was Valentine's Day (like every other day around here is some Saint's day). So how was everyones Valentine's Day? Valentine's Day breakfast is one of the greatest things of the year, especially when it's waffles, they just taste better that day for some reason. Pretty sure I ate Froot Loops that morning, and I actually remember them tasting especially good. The magic of V-Day. Other than that, nothing too crazy exciting this week to tell you the truth. We're still kinda scrambling to find investigatores, and we still have no idea where the heck they are. This is the last week of the change, and whether I get changed up or not, I don't want to finish this change without leaving some good opportunities. So that'll be the name of the game this week, finding some people who will listen to us. It'll be good times. Oh, today my companion bought Monopoly Deal in Spanish. Who knew it existed in Spanish? I definitely didn't, but we found it this morning, and he bought it. We've been having Monopoly Deal tournaments almost every night since I got it for Christmas. Such a great game, it's playing Monopoly, but it doesn't take four hours to finish it! Win-win situation.

It rained totally hard here a couple of days ago. You'd think more people would have let us into their houses with it pouring rain and all, but still not that much luck. The main people who let us into their houses are super old ladies who probably like have no human contact and just want to talk to somebody. It's great and all, but I think we're looking for people who can actually get to the Church on Sundays. Don't worry Mom and Dad, I will be visiting you all the time in the future! But knowing you guys, you'll probably be in Mission Temple Presidents in Africa or something. That would be awesome actually. Even though we didn't really have anybody new in the Church last Sunday, it was cool because the Bishop of the Ward was telling us about all the good we've done over the past four and a half months. He said something along the lines that we "restored the faith of missionary work in the Ward." At least thats the way I understood in Spanish. To be honest, I was feelin' like we didn't accomplish everything that we could have over these last three changes, but it was really nice to hear that what we did right got appreciated. Gotta love that kind of validation as a Missionary.

So what has been going on at home these days? Are people getting sort of pumped up for March Madness? Make sure to send me a bracket soon so I can get involved. I hope BYU loses in the first round and Ricks College makes it to the finals. I'm callin' it. So how goes the Mission preparation stuff Mom and Dad? You have to buy so many white shirts and pants before the Mish. I can't tell you how many pants I had to try on at Kohl's a month before the Mission. Hopefully your enjoying it as much as I did, Dad. But I'm super excited for you guys, you can do a lot of good in the great state of Pennsylvania. We got swap stories at In-N-Out when I get back. Other than that, sounds like life is pretty tranquillo back at home, and thats just the way I like it to be. Keep the emails comin' Family, I know I've been gone for forever, but even the boring stuff is totally interesting to me!

As always, I'm learning a lot about the Gospel and becomming more and more grateful for my knowledge of it. There are so many fools out here who have no idea what to do with their lives, and even though I've still got lots of things to figure out, the Gospel is always constant. Still not sure what I'm going to major in, or what I'll do for my career, or who I'll marry, or if Jeremy Lin will still be playing good this time next week, but I know I'm always going to do my best to follow the Gospel. I'm looking forward for whats around the corner. Anywho, the Church is true, and that's great. Have a great week, keep it real Family.

Love,
Elder Abbott

No comments:

Post a Comment