Monday, September 26, 2011

September 26, 2011

Family! So another exciting week in Durango, the land which is still pretty much stuck in the Old West days. I have seen so many legit cowboys walking around that could easy be put into a Clint Eastwood movie. I feel right at home, I guess I have a connection with the cowboys. But anyways, things are still going well down here and I am really, really liking it. The weather is a miracle, the hottest day here in Durango is like the coldest possible day in Torreon. It's like going from Palm Springs to Newport Beach, but not quite as fancy as Newport Beach. And there isn't a temple either, but it's something like that. The people here are super friendly too, everyone is always up for a little chit chat and hardly anyone does anything, so they always have time! Perfect situation for a Missionary. So let's see, what kind of interesting things have gone down this week? Well for starters, pretty much all of our investigatores are straight up cholos. One of them just got out of maximum security prison in Arizona, his name is Jose, he's a great guy. Sure I have no idea what he did to get into jail, and I don't think I want to know, but I do know that the Atonement works for everybody, so who am I to judge? So we're teaching a lot of those types of guys, but we also are teaching one of the most classic should-be-mormon types of Grandma's. Her name is Fanny (it doesn't sound as funny with a Spanish accent), and she totally reminds me of a Relief Society lady. In fact she will be teaching our Wards Relief Society how to cook something this next weekend, is that an awesome investigator or what? We will actually be baptizing her this week! She will be Relief Society President in no time, I'm callin' it.

Me and my companion have pretty good times every single day out here. There is always something to laugh at when you're two Grigo's walking around together in the middle of Mexico. The people definitely do a lot of strange things, but I love em'. One of the only things I don't love so much would be the tons and tons of stray dogs in the street. I swear they've got it out for Missionaries, but they're keeping me in shape with all the running away we do these days. But don't worry, Elder Toone and I have a plan, we bought dog treats today. We will be turning our greaest enemies in Mexico into our greatest allies, I'll keep you posted on how our relationship goes with the stray dogs of Mexico, don't worry. I have been eating pretty good lately as well. Turns out Elder Toone is an awesome cook, and we somehow have an awesome kitchen, so everything works out! The deal is that he cooks, we eat, and I clean. I've become a pretty mean dish-washer these days, and I'm actually starting to enjoy it as well believe it or not. For all of you's that have dish washers in your house, you don't know how good you have it, now that is an amazing invention. I have definitely gained a greater appreciation for little things like that, dishwashers, washers and dryers and all that. We can take care of those types of things faster and better, and have more time to do interesting things! "Moon Pies...what a time to be alive..."

So this week we have Zone Conference, you guys pumped up for that? It should be pretty cool actually, word on the street is that every companionship is getting little portable DVD players? Apparently the Church came out with these like Missionary training videos, and we are now supposed to study them. I'm down with the idea, eat a little Frosted Flakes in the morning with a church video? Sounds pretty nice if you ask me. I'll let you guys know how everything goes. But anywho, how is everything down at home? Seems like everyone is in baby-preperation mode, and that is always exciting. So many tiny baby clothes, with tiny hangers, good times. Well everyone keep keeping ol' Uncle Tyler posted on whats going on back at home, I'm always interested to hear it! Okay so I better get going family, but before I finish lets see if I have any good missionary words of wisdom...well the Church is still definitely true. I love all of you more than I know how to say, and the Church is all about me being happy with you guys in this life, and forever afterwards. And I can't really think of anything else I would want more, besides Lakers picking up Dwight Howard or Chris Paul. Hey brothers, what in the world is going on in the NBA? Was there even a draft this year? Give me the details. But anyways, the Church is true, the Book of Mormon is for sure the word of God, which means everything else is true. Have a good week family, love you guys, and talk to you next week!

Love,
Elder Abbott

No comments:

Post a Comment