Monday, September 12, 2011

September 12, 2011

Family! Oh man do I have a ton to tell you guys. Consider this your first letter from the great Mexican state of Durango! That's right, this letter is actually not coming from La Rosa if you can believe it. We got the transfers last night, and I said my goodbyes and now I am in a completely different state in Mexico. For those of us who know a thing or two about Mexican geography, before I was in the state of Coahuila where Torreon is, but now I moved down south more to Durango. Check a map, it's true, I know my Mexican geography. So today I woke up early, got to the bus station, and after a really long bus drive I am here! The drive was pretty epic though, a few of my buddies came with me down to Durango and we had a good time on the trip. The bus was actually really, really nice. It kinda felt like being in an airplane or something like that, even gave us never ending free Sprite, how great is that? So this new place I am at is called Surgentes and it is way different from where I was before. Durango is actually green! I haven't seen anything really green for months, so it feels great to be in a place that isn't nearly as dry, or hot. I've literally been here for like 30 minutes so officially I am still getting to know everything. Next week I should have some more interesting things to talk about. But here is some interesting news...my companion is a Gringo! It's true, they put me with another white dude, and I am really excited about it. I still don't know him super well, but his name is Elder Toon and I am pretty sure he is from Utah. Go figure. Oh I also got to see our house too, and it's actually pretty nice! Easily the best house I have had in the Mission, it's the first house I have had with a kitchen.
So let me tell you a little bit about my last week in La Rosa. Jose and his Mom took me and my companion out to eat at the Mexican equivalent of Home Town Buffet...Sirloin! It was pretty good, but not great. But thats the thing with the buffets, may not be the best food in the world, but your for sure going to leave full. I definitely did. But honestly other than that nothing too crazy happened during my last week. It was harder than I thought it would be to say goodbye to everyone actually, never realized how close I got to everyone out there. Everyone asked me if I am ever going to come back and I had no idea what to tell them. I mean I love the people here, but I think if I take a vacation in the future it would be Hawaii and not the Mexican desert. So I said my goodbyes to everyone, everyone gave me their addresses and everything to keep in contact, and yeah, time for a new area. My time in La Rosa really was something special for me, I learned a ton. But as much as I loved it, I think I was honestly ready for a change. I was tired of being so hot all the time, I finally understand how Mom must feel in the Summer.
How is everyone doing at home? September 11th was last week, and I almost forgot until somebody reminded me. Turns out it was a massive event here in Mexico too. I still totally remember that day, I was in....3rd grade? Or maybe 2nd grade, not sure, but I remember our teacher starting to cry and trying to explain to us kids what just happened. Then I remember coming home and seeing Mark watch the news, and Mark never watches the news so thats when I knew something crazy went down. Definitely a day I won't forget anytime soon. Being here in Mexico has really made me appreciate how incredibly awesome our country is. We really are blessed to live where we do and enjoy the freedom and protection we get from the law. The police here are terrible, just a bunch of schmutzes. But anyways, I definitely feel grateful to be a Gringo we pretty much got it made in the shade back in the US of A.
Okay family, think I gotta cut it kinda short this week because it's a little late. I'll tell you everything about the new area and companion next week. Apparently right now we are going to eat tacos with some members, this area is already being good to me. Hope everything is going really good at home, the church is true, and I'll talk to you guys next week!
Love,
Elder Abbott

No comments:

Post a Comment