Tuesday, April 26, 2011

April 25, 2011

Family! Man oh man has it been a weird week, I'm just going to kind of do this backwards. I am currently in the Mission Offices! No, I'm not dying or anything, relax Mom. But I told President in the weekly emails some of the things that were going on in my companionship, and the man took action. He just came and picked me up from the boonies of Mapimi and now I am here where the action is, the offices. Might be a chance I'll be working here pretty soon, at least that's what I am thinking because well, I'm here and not in some other place. Still kind of a mystery what is going on right now, but I am enjoying it. I now more or less live in a church building! With 6 other Elders, consisiting of all the office Elders and the Assistents to the President. Pretty classy, right? I feel like I am on the top of missionary society, to quote that opening song to that one show "Well, I'm movin' on up! To the East Side, to a deluxe apartment in the sky!" Hopefully you know what I am talking about, or that probably came out really weird. Also, I am totally in downtown Torreon! This is such a completely different vibe than where I was before, it's like going from the Lakebed to downtown LA. Before I didn't really like the city so much, I always liked visiting stuff for a day or two but never really wanted to live there, but this is actually way cool. To tell you the truth, I'm not really exaggerating when I say I was living in the Lakebed, so it's kinda like I moved forward in time 100 years which means yes, I took a warm shower this morning! I remember those showers I took after Scout Camp or High Adventure, but this was way better. I mean I haven't really been clean for months, so I was due. Even clipped my nails this morning, it was fantastic. So yeah, downtown is kinda nuts at the same time and I'm just not going to go into details because President specificially told us not to...but remind me to tell you some cool stories next time I see you. Mexico isn't quite as crazy as everyone thinks, but this definitely doesn't remind me much of Yorba Linda.

So life is good here in the offices, it's actually exactly like the show The Office. Everones got their desks and computers and stuff, and everyone plays pranks on each other and messes around, so naturally I am having a good time. Ready for some more exciting news? My official job right now is to make a map for the whole mission! I am the first ever Secretario de Mapas in the Torreon Mexico Mission, and probably will be the last because it was invented for me. We're getting a new Mission President in a few months, and President Clark wants to update a few things here and there (kinda like all those times we forgot Mom and Dad were about to come home from vacation, so we cleaned up the house super fast.) I'm glad to be apart of the clean up crew. Me caya bien (they fall well with me, which means I get along with them, how impressed are you?) with all the Elders that are here, so life has made a pretty big improvement. Oh yeah! Sorry I am writing this so late, the office Elders have P Day on Saturdays instead of Mondays, so I got special permission to write you guys today after we worked.

Let me do a little recap of the past few days, because they have been gone ones. After President picked me up, he let me stay the night in the Mission Home! I don't know why, but all the Mission Presidents in the world are given huge mansions for their times as Presidents, so staying there was awesome. I haven't slept alone in a room for 6 months, so that felt really weird, but to be honest it was super nice not having people snore like Bro Markowski during Fathers and Sons (you know what I am talking about Dad). In the morning me and President went running in this really cool park in downtown Torreon, not quite Central Park cool but dang close. Afterwards got a nice breakfast which I haven't had in quite a while, and off to the offices we went. Needless to say, it's been a crazy week, when I started it I never thought I would end up here but I'm totally glad it happened. Turns out my old companion has been giving President problems for his entire mission, and he didn't want me in that situation thank goodness. Dude was nuts. So short, so angry, kinda like how I imagine I was when I was 8 years old after a No Dice card. Anyone who was confused about that last reference go ask any member in my family, they will know exactly what you are talking about.

So how is everyone else doing? Congrats Bevington on finally graduating after two decades of excelling in school. You told me that I was 8 years old when you started your stay at BYU, so get out of there for goodness sakes! My max, absolute max in Utah will be 4 years. Oh yeah, I keep forgetting Heather is from Utah and I should watch my Utah comments...nevermind! Utah is great, so much snow, and churchs, and home of my beloved Uncle Clay! I love it now and forever. Anyways, enjoy that trip out to Hawaii Kev and Rach, you absolutely earned it. I feel like I am missing some birthdays that went down as well, I feel like Joseph and Becky just had a birthday. Happy Birthday! From all of us from Mexico to you, make it the best one yet. Word on the street is that Lakes are tied 2-2 against the Chris Paul's. I still find it hard to not like Chris Paul, I think that dude is the man. No idea why, but I have always loved him since his days at Wake. Maybe my time in the mission is helping me love the Lakers opponents more or something, but I'm sure if I was watching the games with you guys I would love Chris Paul about as much as I loved the dentist in the month before my mission started. Or the doctor for that matter. But on the bright side, after all that work they did on me before I left, I feel like I beat disease. But back to the Lakes, they will win. They'll take the next two games in a row, get their heads back on straight, and cruise through the next round. This series will end in 6 games, Lakes will beat the next series in 5, then the next two will both go to 7 games. Calling it. From Mexico. Our team is weird, I get that, but once we get in the right mentality and realize what is at stake here, people will get back in their groove. Always have faith in Kobe people, always.

Well, sad to say I am going to have to make this one a little short because I am super tired. It's been a really...educational couple of days, and I really don't know what my future has in store for me right now, but I am trying to be optimistc. But no matter what I always know I've got you guys, and that means everything to me. Have a great week, take it easy, and appreciate the small things we've got all around us. One thing I realized, that if we're not happy, change it! So do what you gotta do to be happy. And be happy. Love you guys!

Love,
Elder Abbott

No comments:

Post a Comment